Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist – Antibody drug discovery and protein sciences
Elasmogen Ltd is a multi-award-winning next generation therapeutic biologics company discovering and developing soloMERs™ for the treatment of oncology and autoimmune mediated inflammatory diseases. Currently located on the Foresterhill Health Campus, Aberdeen, and part of the city’s thriving biologics cluster, Elasmogen will be moving into the £40 million state-of-the-art Aberdeen life sciences BioHub also located on the Foresterhill Health Campus which represents one of Europe’s largest integrated clinical, research, teaching and commercial health sites. Elasmogen’s technology is a unique single domain (soloMER™) platform exploiting the power of biologics as drugs but simpler and in more cost-efficient formats. The Elasmogen team is led by industry professionals who have secured significant funding to support the commercialisation of its validated and IP-protected soloMER™ generation platforms and its pipeline of products in late-stage, pre-clinical development.
We are seeking experienced, versatile, and self-driven individuals to join our highly dynamic, multicultural, and energetic team of scientists. This is a unique opportunity to join our autoimmune inflammation diseases drug discovery and development team, and directly contribute to discovering novel soloMERs™ for the treatment of chronic inflammation diseases. The successful candidate(s) will play a key role in the design and optimisation of our next-generation biologic therapeutics, with a focus on molecular reformatting and site-specific delivery to enhance potency, and safety. You will be expected to demonstrate understanding of in vitro display (phage and/or yeast) methodologies, antibody discovery workflows, protein engineering and ability to excel in a fast-paced environment. As a team member of this ambitious research programme, you will have access to considerable conference, networking, and training grants to support your career and professional development.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Deliver on lab-based research work to apply molecular biology, phage display/yeast display, protein biochemistry and rational protein engineering techniques to generate novel protein therapeutics.
- Conduct standard cloning techniques, protein expression in different host systems ( E.coli and mammalian), and purification.
- Design, develop and perform in vitro cell based assays.
- Support execution of protein engineering and antibody discovery optimisation efforts such as platform optimisation, humanisation, affinity maturation etc.
- Analyse, archive and present data, both in written reports, oral presentations, and contribution to peer reviewed publications.
- Hands-on experience using phage/yeast display, protein engineering and in vitro antibody maturation methodologies.
- Experience with molecular cloning, library construction, DNA sequence analysis, protein expression and purification.
- Experience in cell culture (primary and immortalised cells), and in vitro cell based assay development.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Motivated, collaborative, self-directed individual who can complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Attention to detail, organised with excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Efficiency in using Microsoft Office package, GraphPad Prism, SharePoint, and a DNA sequence analysis software.
- Knowledge of immunology and/or autoimmune inflammatory diseases.
- Knowledge of bioinformatics and structural modelling would be an advantage.
- Bio-conjugation of small molecules to protein scaffolds.
PhD in immunology, molecular biology, and cellular biology, bioengineering or related field or BSc with MSc plus 3-5 years of relevant experiences in an industrial research setting.
Job type: Full time, 4-year fixed term (with a possibility for extension)
Preferred Start Date: Not later than October 2021.
Application process: Please submit a cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 23:59 (BST) on the 11th of July 2021.
For informal enquiries, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.